Dementia Care Services for Seniors in Toronto
How to Care for Seniors with Dementia
Looking after a person with dementia presents a unique set of challenges for their loved ones that can leave them feeling overwhelmed. As a leading, we have a few tips for anyone who has a family member with dementia:
- Be positive in your interactions
- Keep their attention by limiting distractions
- Be clear and concise when speaking to them
- Give them your full attention by listening intently and interpreting their expressions
- Lay out the activities in which you’re going to be taking part in clear and easy-to-understand steps
- If they get upset, redirect their attention; distractions may not seem like a good idea, but it is effective for elderly care and dementia patients
- Remember to be patient and give them plenty of love and reassurance
- Help them to recall positive memories
- Maintain your sense of humour, no matter how bad things get
Tips on Caring for Elders with Dementia
Remember that dementia is a progressive disorder that cannot be cured. Certain medications and cognitive therapeutics can slow its progress, but you must realize that there is little you can do to change its course. If there are any behavioural problems, check with their doctor since they may be for a medical reason.
Look for what might have triggered the negative behaviour and try to prevent it. A change in the physical environment is a major reason for negative behaviour. Dementia home care near their home will allow your loved one to remain in their familiar environment for as long as possible.
And don’t hesitate to get help from friends and family. A dementia caregiver can take some of the stress off of you and your family by caring for your loved one.
Cognitive Therapeutics for Dementia Patients
At Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region, we are a leading proponent of cognitive therapeutics for elderly patients with dementia. Our Cognitive Therapeutics Method was developed by an MD with a background in psychology. This method uses the burgeoning field of neuroplasticity as a non-pharmacological method to treat patients with dementia.
Additionally, it can also target issues with mood and functioning and improve their overall quality of life.
Our providers of dementia home care in York Region are all trained in the Cognitive Therapeutics Method that will greatly benefit your loved one. At Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region, we offer home care for dementia and Alzheimer’s patients at an affordable price. Contact us today for more information.