Taking an Innovative Approach to Caring for Cognitive Patients
A new and innovative activity-based cognitive intervention program from Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region has been found to delay the onset of dementia and existing symptoms of the disorder.
The Cognitive Therapeutics Method (CTM) uses mental stimulation to slow cognitive decline. Based on cutting-edge scientific research and a report from The National Institutes of Health, Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region is proud to offer CTM. Our caregivers are trained in its methods and will administer it in the comfort of your loved one’s home, since being in a familiar environment is often beneficial to dementia patients.
CTM employs 20 activities that target five primary cognitive domains. After a thorough evaluation is performed, the program is then personalized to each client according to their abilities, limitations, personal interests, preferences, and personal histories. Our team of experts bring innovative, research-based solutions to our clients who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
While many therapies for patients with dementia are based around memory loss, CTM also focuses on cognitive and non-cognitive domains. In addition, Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region involves the family members of clients undergoing the therapy, providing regular updates, as well as various educational and support methods for those who wish to learn the best methods for communicating and interacting with their loved ones who are afflicted with this condition.
We will choose the intervention that is best suited to our client’s needs, based on our selection of over 300 methods. This selection is growing as more and more research becomes available.
Our interventions target five different areas;
- Executive Functioning: This targets cognitive abilities such as reasoning, problem solving, judgment, and cognitive flexibility.
- Attention: This enhances the client’s ability to focus on a specific piece of information while suppressing awareness of competing distractions.
- Language: Our caregiver helps the client to execute verbal functions, such as spontaneous speech, speech repetition, speech comprehension, naming, reading, and writing.
- Visual-Spatial Perception: Here, we teach the client to properly perceive the relationship between objects and space.
- Memory: This method enhances the client’s ability to retain information and use it later for adaptive purposes.
Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region uses an extensive evaluation process to create a program that’s suited to our client’s needs. For an assessment, you can either contact us directly or you may be referred to the program by a physician. The evaluation will involve the client and a family member in order to best understand their strengths, weaknesses, background, and preferences.
After the evaluation has been completed, the client is ready to begin. Our trained caregiver or Certified Interventionist will visit them in their home and provide their family with regular updates on their progress.
To learn more about the Cognitive Therapeutics Method, contact Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region today or visit our web site for more information.
Latest posts by Brian Shevel (see all)
- How Women Can Fight Mental Decline As They Get Older - March 20, 2018
- 10 Common Health Problems in The Elderly - March 15, 2018
- Things You Should Know About Brain Awareness Week (BAW) - March 12, 2018