Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region Draws Attention to Mental Health this Month
May is Mental Health Month and Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region, the top dementia care provider in the Greater Toronto Area, would like to draw attention to some of the mental health issues that can affect seniors.
Regardless of age, maintaining good mental health is imperative for overall well-being. Seniors can suffer from a number of mental health issues, such as Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and depression. As the top home care and dementia care provider, we urge our clients to take the necessary steps to care for the mental health of both their loved ones and themselves.
We have a number of resources available for clients dealing with mental health issues that affect the elderly. If you or a loved one is suffering from any of the mental health conditions typically associated with aging, contact us today.
However, there are steps you can take to improve mental health and overall well-being:
1. Social Support: Having a social support network in place means that not only will feelings of loneliness be avoided, but if the senior suffers from Alzheimer’s or dementia, someone will check in regularly. Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region also provides home care workers who specialize in caring for clients with these conditions.
2. Healthy Diet: Eating a healthy diet can contribute to good mental health, giving seniors energy to get out of the house and participate in activities. In addition, foods rich in antioxidants can help to combat feelings of depression, something seniors feel after a spouse passes away.
3. Coping With Stress: Many seniors may feel overwhelmed by looking after their home, especially if they are suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia. With an in-home care worker or regular visits from friends and family, you or your loved one will feel considerably less stress.
4. Rest, Relaxation, and Exercise: The combination of being active and getting plenty of rest leads to a balanced lifestyle that will leave you or your loved one feeling a sense of balance. Our home care workers offer a variety of active lifestyle options for seniors.
5. Finding Help: If you or a loved one is suffering from any of the mental health issues associated with aging, such as depression, Alzheimer’s, or dementia, call on Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region or visit our web site, where we offer a variety of resources for coping with this and more.
And even if someone has good mental health, they can still deal with day-to-day stress. Stress is often associated with a number of other health conditions, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and obesity. With a patient suffering from dementia or other mental health condition that affects seniors, stress can make the condition worse.
Since it was first started 65 years ago by Mental Health America, Mental Health Month has worked hard to draw attention to mental health conditions and the importance of maintaining good mental health. As the leading dementia care provider in the GTA, Home Care Assistance – Toronto/York Region specializes in caring for clients suffering from the different mental health conditions associated with aging.
“This May is Mental Health Month: Mind Your Health,” Sys-Con Media web site, April 21, 2014; http://www.sys-con.com/node/3065302.
Latest posts by Brian Shevel (see all)
- 10 Common Health Problems in The Elderly - March 15, 2018
- Things You Should Know About Brain Awareness Week (BAW) - March 12, 2018
- 10 Balancing Exercises to Prevent Elderly Falls - March 1, 2018